Thursday, November 27, 2008

An object in motion...

November 24, 2008

After last weeks radio program about Bursting the Bubble and getting our selves out of the Trance we are in, I have been thinking more about what it takes to get in action. The truth is that I think about this all the time, because it is a foundational element of my work as a Life Coach.

How do we get in action?

I woke up this morning and wanted to exercise, but did not feel the motivation to do so. I have done yoga for over 10 years and often get up in the morning and do some stretching. But lately I have not felt the motivation to do it, so I have not done it and I have felt like a slug.

Then I remembered the Sun Salutation. It starts with breathing and simple movements. The first several rounds are very simple and easy. Then the salutations slowly ramp up their intensity. What I know about myself is that if I start then I get into the flow and instead of losing myself in a mindless (and useless) activity, I get wrapped up in my yoga. I know this, but starting is always the most challenging part of the whole thing.

The last 3 days, I have gotten up and begun the simple breathing and motions of a Sun Salutation and on all 3 days, I have spent at least 30 minutes doing yoga/exercising.

What is the difference between executing what we want in our lives and sitting around hoping that we execute what we want in our lives?

In the meditation that I did after my exercise, it occurred to me that this is exactly why the Sun Salutation is designed this way. It starts simply and then gets more challenging as you warm up, get into it and warm your body up.

Newton’s first law of motion states:
An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

The difference between getting what we want and not is action. In order to make a difference in your own life and in the world, you must get in action.

Do something, anything, to get yourself moving.

What is your experience?

No comments: